Christian values are incorporated into the program through stories, songs and lessons during Chapel time led by the Pastor of RUMC twice a month, during daily interactions and through special celebrations during Christmas and Easter.
Our Pre-K Program provides a multitude of experiences in the form of small group and large group activities and a balance of child-initiated and teacher-directed activities throughout the day to support each child’s growth and development in all areas and to prepare them for their transition to Kindergarten.
Fine Motor and Gross Motor Development
- The regular use of writing/drawing/painting tools (pencils, crayons, makers, paint brushes), using scissors and small manipulatives (lacing beads, puzzles) help children strengthen their fine motor skills.
- Daily opportunities for outdoor play and indoor movement activities help children strengthen their large motor skills. Activities include skipping, running, climbing and balancing in our outdoor playground area and riding bikes and playing with balls in our indoor play space.
Social Emotional Development
- Preparing to go outside, handwashing, cleaning up after an activity and meal times creates opportunities for children to grow in independence, strengthen self-help skills and develop confidence in meeting their own needs.
- Playing in small groups with peers give children the opportunity to develop new friendships, play cooperatively and learn to respect the rights of others.
- Children also learn how to solve problems on their own by expressing their feelings in a conflict situation, recognize and respond to the feelings of others appropriately, negotiate and compromise.
- Free play time provides children the opportunity to discover their interests and make decisions.
The Classroom Environment
- Spacious classrooms and naturally lit classrooms
- Child-sized furniture and easily accessible sink and toilet to encourage independent self-care
- 1:8 teacher-to-child ratio for individualized learning experiences
- Maximum Group Size – 16
- CPR- and First Aid-certified staff
- Professional cleaning daily
Monday to Friday
Language and Early Literacy Development
- Songs, stories, games and other small group activities help children strengthen their knowledge of letters and letter sounds. Children learn to recognize the names of peers and as well as letters and basic wordsin their environment. They also practice writing letters and writing their name.
- Books and stories help children learn that print carries meaning and learn to recognize common words.
- Group discussions and Show and Tell during Circle Time provide children the opportunity to express their thoughts and develop their vocabulary and language skills.
112 W. Montgomery Avenue, Rockville, MD 20850
- The regular use of manipulatives, games, songs, books and other small group activities help children strengthen their knowledge of shapes, colors and math concepts. Children practice number recognition, number writing, counting, number values, sorting, measuring, and making patterns.
- Science concepts are introduced and investigated through nature walks, sensory activities, and hands-on experiments.
- Engaging in dramatic play, music and movement activities and participating in art activities creates opportunities for children to be creative and use their imaginations.
- The introduction of various topics of interest helps children develop curiosity about the world around them. Field trips, holidays and celebrations helps strengthen children’s knowledge and awareness of various topics.
Field trips are an important and exciting aspect of the preschool program. They enable children to explore interesting places and provide educational experiences that highlight classroom curriculum. Children in the Pre-K class participate in several planned field trips during the school year. Some of trips taken in past years have included a school wide trip to the Pumpkin Patch, Croydon Creek Nature Center, Rockville Memorial Library and the Great Harvest Bread Co. Bakery.
Copyright 2021. New Day Preschool | Rockville Preschool | Age 2 - Pre-K. All rights reserved.